Saturday, April 18, 2009

Minerva Torres-Guzman
"Mi Niñez"
(My Childhood
)
10in x 8in
Print from Original
(graphite on paper)
2007
My childhood consisted of constantly going from one world to another. When I was in Mexico, the U.S. was always called the "other" side and vice versa. I was never on the "other" side when it came down to it. Somehow, I kept missing it! No matter what side of the border I was on, the Saturday morning cartoons were the same. Most blockbuster movies and popular cartoons were in Spanish, my native tongue. My work deals with the blending of ideas and memories that growing up on both sides of the border has provided for me. I can talk about a Mexican comedy show to my friends here in California and they most likely know what I am talking about. I can cross the border to Mexico and see images of Thundercats and Smurfs. At a young age, the only difference in the products I bought would be the type of currency used to purchase them. Everything blended in my mind and the only physical separation was waiting an hour to cross the border back into the United States.


Robi Guillen
"Reflective Desertion"
18" x 24"
Oil on Canvas
With "the grass is always greener" mentality, whoever

"they" are "they" cross the border. With expectations, hopes, dreams, aspirations.

Some make it, some don't, some will some won't. Coming from a place of majestic

simplicity and profound beauty in an instance being reverted to the negative

stereotypical figures in another. They look back on what was, with no "real" sense of

the greatness they are descended from.



Fred Guzman
8" x 10"
Collage



Carol Hegarty
"Never Far From Big Brother"
48" x 36"
Oil on Canvas
Helicopters buzz over my house at all hours so close the walls shake like an earthquake. So when I was visiting tidepools, with no one in sight for miles, and looked up to see this winged spy, I was inspired to paint the scene.


Bernardo Olmedo
"Border Ghosts"
"Fantasmas de la Frontera"
22.5 x 20 cm
2007
Con mi pieza "Fantasmas de la frontera" represento algunos de los miedos, traumas y muertes generados al cruzar ilegalmente la frontera. Estos fantasmas ahora viven atrapados en los dos lados del cerco.
With my art piece "Border ghosts" I represent some of the fears, trauma and deaths generated by illegal border crossing. These ghosts now live trapped in both sides of the fence.


Elizabeth M Lopez
Of the Series "Its a Small World After All"
"The MexiCAN"
9" x 12"
2009
In my work I often use visual satire as well as humor to address issues that are important to me as an artist/person. In this piece I use the abstracted caricature-like "sombrero" as a stand in for Mexicans in the US. The used Coca Cola can represents not only mainstream American culture but it also creates a living space for these sombreros.






No comments:

Post a Comment